Pupil premium is funding to improve education outcomes for disadvantaged pupils in schools in England. Evidence shows that disadvantaged children generally face additional challenges in reaching their potential at school and often do not perform as well as other pupils.
Pupil eligibility and funding rates
This table shows how much pupil premium funding schools and local authorities receive for each eligible child.
|Pupil eligibility criteria||Amount of funding for each primary-aged pupil per year||Amount of funding for each secondary-aged pupil per year||Funding is paid to|
|Pupils who are eligible for free school meals, or have been eligible in the past 6 years||£1345||£955||School|
|Pupils who have been adopted from care or have left care||£2345||£2345||School|
|Children who are looked after by the local authority||£2345||£2345||Local authority|
Free School Meals
If your child is not registered for Free School Meals and you receive any of the following benefits your child may be able to get free school meals:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child may also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:
- younger than the compulsory age for starting school
- in full-time education.
If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022.
You can apply for free school meals by completing the application form below:
Westfield Road, Hinckley, Leicestershire LE10 0LT